Coming to NDK? Yay, we’re happy to see you! Just read this first. For everyone’s comfort and enjoyment, please adhere to the dress code (costume or no costume), or you will be asked to leave. Final approval of all props, weapons and dress are up to the Ops staff.
- No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service: This is the hotel’s policy. Plus, it’s safer for your feet.
- Absolutely no realistic costumes of law enforcement, military or government personnel are allowed.
- Upper Body Coverage: Everyone must have 60% of both sides of their chest covered, regardless of gender. The graphic on the right is a broad example of the requirements. The 60% coverage will vary depending on your personal chest size.
- No underboob, and no sideboob will be allowed at all. If we look at you from the side and are able to see less than 60% chest coverage or inside your clothing, you need to put something else on. Additionally, if you’re walking and your top covering flies open, you need to secure the opening over your chest (ie: no swinging Aladdin vests or capes which do not have 60% front upper body coverage).
- Dramatically plunging necklines which reveal sideboob or underboob are not allowed. Please use a flesh-colored panel or double-sided garment tape to avoid dramatic necklines from popping open on all sides.
- Bare abdomens and bare backs are allowed.
- Dance Belts: All persons wearing tight fitting costumes are now required to wear a dance belt. We should not be able to see your anatomy.
- Bottom Covering: The minimum for everyone is shorts or a skirt, which must completely cover your behind (no cheeks hanging out). If we can see what type of underwear you’re wearing, you need to cover up. If we can see you have no underwear on, you need to cover up. Prefer a leotard? If it does not show any cheeks, it’s fine. If you have to pull down your costume to maintain basic requirements, you’re not wearing enough.
- Mesh, Fishnet and See-Through Clothing: If you choose to wear see-through clothing, you must still wear the minimum requirement of opaque coverage underneath it. If we can see through your clothes to your body parts, you will be asked to change. No lingerie costumes are allowed.
- Nudity, even the illusion of such, is strictly forbidden in both the halls and Costume Contest. You may wear flesh-toned and/or opaque clothing to cover areas, but do not alter the garment to make it anatomically correct.
- There will be no removing of articles of clothing for pictures or during the Costume Contest.
- Please refer to the Weapons Policies for questions on all prop weapons.
- You should not have any attached costume pieces which extend more than 1 foot from your body at your feet, arms or back. Remember that the halls are crowded- always use common sense when you have large or protruding costume pieces such as tails, hoop skirts or tall headgear or horns.
- Wings should extend no more than 2 feet away from the body. If your wings are retractable, please keep them collapsed until you are outside of the hotel, or have plenty of space.
- No signs are allowed at the convention under any circumstances, even if it relates to your character.
- Metal handcuffs, leashes and chains over 6 inches long are strictly prohibited. There have been way too many incidents of someone being clotheslined or choked because of leashes.