Author Topic: NDK NYE 2012 Dress Code Questions  (Read 15222 times)

Offline Jinnie

• Fan Person
NDK NYE 2012 Dress Code Questions
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:12:25 am »
This thread exists to make our dress code as clear as possible and to avoid any issues before the dance.  We will update this first post as necessary as we answer questions, so if in doubt, start here!  The Dress Code exists to make things, believe it or not, more fun! A dress codes means that this is not an everyday kind of dance, and lays down some guidelines that really should make it easier to decide what to wear.

What does "Semi-Formal" mean for NDK NYE? (Crossplaying? Please follow the requirements for your chosen gender.)

For male:
A long-sleeve, button-up business/dress shirt, trousers/slacks and a:
  • Tie or bowtie* AND
  • Sports coat OR
  • Suit jacket OR
  • Vest.
* If the button-up shirt has a mandarin-style or banded collar, a tie is not required.

You must have all required elements to enter the dance.

For female:
A nice dress or a nice top/blouse with trousers/slacks/skirt. The dress must be at least cocktail length: no more than two inches above the knee, no matter the style. If you have to tug it down, it's too short. No t-shirts, beach dresses, swimsuit covers, lingerie/nightgowns or anything see-through.

Specific Guidelines (male and female, crossplay included)
Dress length
Floor length is desired, but knee length to cocktail length (no more than two inches above the knee, no matter the style) is also acceptable.

Period Clothing
Ascots, capes, and knee-length breeches/breeks/culottes (with appropriate leg coverings) are acceptable.

Cultural Dress
Garments deemed formal to that particular culture, such as formal kimonos, kilts worn with formal evening wear, Senatorial togas/stolas (no bedsheets or unhemmed fabric, must be accompanied with a tunica and other formal Roman elements), etc. are acceptable.

Lolita dress is also acceptable, provided the skirt length matches our requirements.

Military Style Dress
Formal style military dress uniforms are acceptable. Utility uniforms are not.

Props
Props are allowed, but standard NDK prop rules still apply. There will be a "mini ops" table set up to handle all peace bonding needs.

Masks
Masquerade style masks are not required, but encouraged!

Shoes
Female: dressy, open-toed shoes are acceptable. (Close-toed shoes are also acceptable.)
Male: closed-toes shoes only.

We understand you’ll be on your feet all night and will want comfortable shoes, so we aren’t enforcing a strict shoe policy. Please use your best judgment and the guidelines above.

Cosplaying? Keep your footwear within the spirit of what you’re wearing, even if you’re going for comfort.

Not appropriate:  Rave pants, denim, khaki, shorts, fishnet stockings, street clothes, and dresses shorter than cocktail length (no more than two inches above the knee, no matter the style)..

If you are not sure if your outfit or costume meets the guidelines above, please post a photo/pic in the thread below.  However, the final decision as to whether or not attire is acceptable will have to be made at the event.  I mention this, because we may see sketches, or photos, as they are presented here, and we may think it sounds/looks fine.  But what if the person changes their mind, or makes a material substitution before the event?  We can only say yay/nay to what we *think* we see here.  There's also the potential for someone to post a misleading representation just to get an 'ok' here, but show up in something else entirely.

The INTENT of NDK NYE is to be a formal event.  New Year's is traditionally a time to have fun, get dressed up, and celebrate.  We're just putting an Anime/Japanese/Cosplay spin on this evening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please start posting your Dress code comments and questions below.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:51:53 am by Jinnie »

Offline Mahou Shoujo Michi

• Michi, the Box Princess
  • Fan Person
  • Quite obviously, it's the power of love!
    • Mii's Facebook
Re: NDK NYE 2012 Dress Code Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
Also, when it comes to dresses, you have to look at more than just the length.   Just because a dress falls at 2 inches above the knee or below does not make it formal.  Examples?

Alice from Alice in Wonderland or related media.  More specifically her traditional blue dress and apron.  Last year I saw someone as Alice from American Mcgee.  Is it a dress? Yes.  Is it knee length? Yes.  Is it formal or even semi formal No. 

Another example would be Maid dresses.  They can be to the knee or below, but they're not formal or semi formal

Not Okay: http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h464/MichiMii/Alice-american-mcgees-alice-24295755-700-1024.jpg

Okay: http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h464/MichiMii/138482.jpg  <-- This would be a perfect example of a short formal dress.

Also, there needs to be some clarification on what constitutes formal cultural clothing.  To the untrained eye, a yukata may seem formal because it looks pretty, however it's very much "casual wear". 

Offline Osias

• Pocky Fiend
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »

What does "Semi-Formal" mean for NDK NYE?

• Tie or bowtie* AND

;D YAY! Bow Ties are cool!  ;D

Offline brianca

• Fanfic Author
    • ActOutGames
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »
Isn't that like saying pants or trousers? ;)

Offline nemisis47

• “I AM Tony Lewis The GREAT, Simon of Gurren Lagann, America, the hero, The World Ends With You, I am your greatest nemisis !!!
  • Master of the Japanese Language
  • Live to work, work to play, live to win.
    • Facebook of the Nemisis
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:04:35 am »
I do plan on doing the 11th doctor for NYE since it seems formalish too. I was wondering if he's acceptable for NYE? I'll be wearing black slacks for him along with his usual attire. Here is a pic if need be. http://joediliberto.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/11thdoctor01.jpg along with a Fez, because fezzes are cool.

Offline colonelmasako

• My wife is a
  • Fanfic Author
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:02:00 pm »
How about Castor from Tron Legacy? http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Castor

He is quite formal, but lacks a tie. Thanks

Offline Jinnie

• Fan Person
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:03 pm »
Sorry for the delay in answering, you guys! We've had a nasty sickness going around the staff. Hopefully none of you had it, it's not fun.

Michi: Oftentimes, it comes down to material selection + length for the nature of the formality. We've also clearly stated we require formal garments. We don't list everything that's not, because well, that would take pages and pages and pages. That's why we have threads like this for clarification. :)

Tony: That's fine.

colonelmasako: you would need a tie under the light. Maybe something white that fades into the costume? Be creative!

Offline The Ronin

• Moderator, Charity and Cosplay Minion
  • Staff
  • Packin' up and moving to Japan
  • Hope rides alone
    • Ronin's Art. A place to get custom geeky goodness
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
colonelmasako: you would need a tie under the light. Maybe something white that fades into the costume? Be creative!
Integrate the light into the tie?
Who are the Patriots?
www.facebook.com/roninsart

Offline Jinnie

• Fan Person
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:19 am »
Sure.

Offline Pudding-chan

• Passing Fan
  • Par-tay?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
My friend wants to cosplay as Wesley from Princess Bride in his black outfit. Would that be considered formal enough?

Offline Mangosteen

• King of the Sky~
  • Your galaxy will shine!
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:34 am »
I have been using my better judgment in preparing a Fiorial cosplay for this event:
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4952/fiore12.jpg

This is formal enough right ;u;??

If not, I can wear something I wore in years past O:

Thank you :3
"It is fate, and not wisdom, that rules man's life."

Offline Jinnie

• Fan Person
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:31 am »
Probably? Always hard to tell from a drawing. Depends on fabric choice, too. :)

Offline Mangosteen

• King of the Sky~
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 09:22:01 pm »
...I don't think fabric should matter.  I mean people have been using that cheap costume fabric in years past, and there has never been a problem (That I am aware of anyways.) I however would never dream of using such cheap stuff.  So as long as the fabric is at least one step up from the fabric mentioned, it should be ok right?

As for the ref~ the costume is actually a modified Japan cosplay http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3590/intheshadenowjapanbylim.jpg  It is button up, with a panel in front. And the pants are dress pants.

Edit: The costume's fabric is made from some kind of cotton or something like that.  Oh but the armor is made from foamies though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:21:19 pm by Mangosteen »

Offline Mahou Shoujo Michi

• Michi, the Box Princess
  • Fan Person
  • Quite obviously, it's the power of love!
    • Mii's Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 07:27:06 am »
Honestly, and I could be wrong on this, I think the reason they say that fabric choice matters is so that someone doesn't try to wear black jeans (denim) in place of a pair of black dress pants, or sew buttons onto a white t-shirt and call it a dress shirt.

But other than that.. I really see no reason to have to use the most expensive fabrics, I mean heck, last year someone made a FANTASTIC dress out of PAPER of all things.   So in my opinion, with some obvious exceptions ( such as the previously mentioned denim) how something looks is more important than what material it's made of.  I mean, heck.. I personally consider a tuxedo made out of duct tape formal, but if someone showed up in a maid dress that was made of fine silk and antique lace, I wouldn't.

Buut that's just me.

Offline colonelmasako

• My wife is a
  • Fanfic Author
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »

I can't imagine doing this without making Castor look ridiculous. The costume has coattails and a cane, I was hoping that alone is formal enough. No slip room on the tie requirement for me? I can't do a tie because there is a light right in the middle that the tie would cover, and its very difficult to modify a tie to suit my needs (nor do I want to mutilate my one perfectly good white tie). If you look at the neckline, you can see why it would look silly. My opinion of course, but I worked hard to make this screen accurate and really don't want to change it much.

Offline Mangosteen

• King of the Sky~
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »
Honestly, and I could be wrong on this, I think the reason they say that fabric choice matters is so that someone doesn't try to wear black jeans (denim) in place of a pair of black dress pants, or sew buttons onto a white t-shirt and call it a dress shirt.

But other than that.. I really see no reason to have to use the most expensive fabrics, I mean heck, last year someone made a FANTASTIC dress out of PAPER of all things.   So in my opinion, with some obvious exceptions ( such as the previously mentioned denim) how something looks is more important than what material it's made of.  I mean, heck.. I personally consider a tuxedo made out of duct tape formal, but if someone showed up in a maid dress that was made of fine silk and antique lace, I wouldn't.

Buut that's just me.

This still doesn't apply to me.  If I were making out of paper, denim or duck tape, I would has said so.  But I get your point.

Offline CosplayTsuki

• Passing Fan
Writer, Cosplayer, Anime Fanatic.
White Bishop in 2014~

Offline RoseNox

• Passing Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »
I'm hoping to save money and wear my dress from Homecoming to NYE as well. I just have some concerns about the length: It's 3-4 inches above my knee, but would wearing tights underneath make it acceptable? While I doubt I'll get away with that, I thought I'd check before buying another' just in case :) Thanks!

Offline Fashion Police

• Director
  • Passing Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in answering dress code questions! Without any further ado...

Mangosteen:  Your Fiore is just fine. After closer inspection of the colar, it appears to be mandarin-style, which is perfectly acceptable by our rules.

colonelmasako: Yes, you will need to figure out some sort of tie; perhaps take Ronin's suggestion, and integrate the tie and the light?

CosplayTsuki: While the mouth isn't exactly elegant, it will be just fine on your cosplay. We appreciate your sense of whimsy with that costume!

RoseNox: The dress would need to be no more than 2 inches above the knee- it sounds like your other dress is just too short for this event. :(

Keep the questions coming, and thanks for the great questions thus far!
As the official account of the NYE Dress Code commitee, all decisions on costumes made by this account are final.

Offline Mangosteen

• King of the Sky~
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 12:19:14 am »
Oh thank goodness! Thank you!
My gf was this close to returning her dress fabric ;u; Thank you so much!