RMAA’s event modifictions and policies to keep you safe and still provide a fun, inclusive, and meaningful convention experience.
March 3, 2021
NDK Convention Status: Currently, for SEP 2021, we are planning on a “GO” for our convention. We will update this status as necessary should anything change between now and Labor Day Weekend.
We will be updating the sections below as we learn more on what we will need to modify the closer we get to the convention. Please check back regularly.
The Rocky Mountain Anime Assoctiation (RMAA) Board of Directors have been meeting regularly and keeping close watch on the evolving public health situation since the COVID-19 pandmeic began. This situation is unprecedented.
As our Labor Day event, NDK, approaches, we have made the following changes to create a safer convention environment for our Attendees, Staff, and Volunteers. These changes are pending State, Local, and Venue requirements that may chage at any time.
Please keep in mind that Colorado’s Governor may issue orders that can yet result in the cancellation of our event by September. Please check this site for our current status and updates on other changes we may have to implement along the way. Things can change quickly, but we will do our best to keep you informed. We ask for your patience and cooperation; these procedures are new to all of us!
Gaylord Rockies Cleaning Standards
- Specialized hotel staff will be dedicated to regular cycles of guest touch point sanitization. High-touch points such as conference room doors, light switches and other equipment will be sanitized after each group’s use.
- Electrostatic disinfectant sprayers will be used for deep sanitization of all meeting room hard surfaces and chairs overnight; completed before the start of the next day’s sessions
- Hand sanitizer stations will be placed throughout the meeting spaces, convention center, breakout spaces and corridors.
- See more information about Marriott’s Commitment to Clean here.
Attendee Social Contract
No matter how many safety and cleaning precautions are implemented, ultimately, safety also depends on attendees.
Due to the immense size of the Gaylord and its surrounding outside grounds, it is possible to maintain 6′ social distance from others. Watch for signage to facilitate distancing in lines, and other likely gathering areas.
Be vigilant in avoiding large clusters of people and contact with people outside of those in your household bubble.
Masks requirements are currently required per order of the Tri County Health Department. Follow below for status updates.*
Wash hands frequently for 20 seconds each time, and make use of the highly visible hand sanitizer stations available at the Gaylord.
Staff & Volunteer Safety Requirements
All NDK Staff will be required to wear masks at all times while on the convention floor for the safety of all attendees.
All NDK Staff will be subject to temperature checks before they go on shift.
All NDK Staff will have access to hand sanitizer, gloves, and be asked to wash their hands as frequently as possible for 20 seconds each time.
Effective immediately, for the saftey of both Attendees and Staff, all monetary transactions will be processed digitally. NO CASH will be accepted by NDK, for registration or events.
NDK is launching a Will-Call registration process that will minimize contact for all attendees. Will Call registrations may be purchased digitally both online before the convention, and onsite.
Your badges are going to look different. Pre-registration names will no longer be printed on each badge to minimize contact for the safety of our attendees. This means that less people are touching the badges before they are handed to attendees.
All Badges will include a QR Code. This QR code will enable:
Room Capacity Tracking
- To safely count the number of people in each room in the Convention Hall, NDK Staff will be scanning the badge of every attendee before they enter and sometimes when exiting a room.
- Each room will have a listed safe capacity based on square footage, and NDK will keep the population below that number at all times.
- If necessary, NDK will consider capping attendance based on state regulations and capacity requirements.
- Sign-Ups for Panels and other Events
Registration Waiver Statement
While NDK will be implementing cleaning and distancing procedures to hold a modified convention during the COVID-19 Pandemic, by purchasing a ticket, attendees agree to assume any personal risk of infection as it is impossible to entirely mitigate the risks associated with attending this event.
The full legal text of this waiver will appear before purchasing any tickets to our event.
Main Events, Panel Rooms and Video Rooms
These are the steps we’re going to be taking in these rooms beyond what the Marriott is taking. Loading in, going out and wait times between events and panels will increased in order to allow for social distancing and extra cleaning.
All chairs will be set up on a 6 foot distanced grid. Families and house mates are welcome to pull their chairs together, but must stay at least 6’ distance from other attendees.
We will be limited to the number currently allowed per the state government’s issued guidelines. This number is based on the square footage of each individual room.
Cleaning before you sit
All attendees will be given the option of taking a sanitizing wipe before entering Main Events, panel or video rooms. They are welcome to wipe down their chair if desired.
All rooms with tables will be sanitized between each panel or event by NDK staff.
- Panels must be signed up for on a first-come first-served basis and will be linked to the QR code on your badge.
- When you sign up for a panel, you will be set a time and location to line up. Please note that this time may be much earlier than the panel start time. We are doing our best to stagger loading in events to limit the number of people standing the hallway at the same time.
- There will be a one hour break between each panel to clean and load in the next panel.
- More details on panel sign-ups will be released closer to the convention.
Video Gaming Room and Japanese Arcade
- All Gaming Console Stations will be spaced at least 6’ apart.
- Controllers will be wiped down between each player.
- No physically demanding dancing games or games that encourage heavy respiration will be present at NDK for the present time.
- For rhythm gaming, and larger arcade machines, all surfaces will be wiped down at a minimum of every 15 mins.
- The Cosplay Contest Greenroom will be held in a private room off of Main Events that has 6,180 square feet. With that much square feet, we can comfortably space out contestants at a 6’ distance from each other.
- No scoring penalties for contestants incorporating face masks or other PPE into their cosplay.
- We will be staggering contestants into Main Events backstage to just a handful of people at a time, therefore limiting contact in the smaller backstage area.
Dances & Raves
Sadly, it is not possible to hold these events in a manner where it would be safe to attend in person. Therefore, The J-Pop Dance and the Rave will not occur this year. We are exploring ways to have a virtual Rave and other ways to enjoy music, instead of the traditional format. More details to come.
Video Resources for Safety
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) with proper hand washing is a strong defense against transmitting viruses. Avoid simple mistakes that may impact that effectiveness by reviewing the videos below on the do’s and dont’s of PPE use and the CDC recommendations for handwashing. Also included is a video on how to make a simple fabric mask.
FAQ: Why aren’t you postponing the convention?
A: NDK’s home is the Gaylord Rockies which is currently the most popular convention hotel in the state. At last check, the Gaylord is booked solid for the next 7 years. We literally cannot move weekends; there is no open space for us to move to. And if there were, the monetary penalties involved would be catastrophic.
FAQ: Why not just cancel?
A: NDK is under contractual obligation with Gaylord Rockies. We cannot cancel the convention without an enormous cash penalty, and as a Nonprofit organization, we simply do not have the resources to do that.
FAQ: What will it take for NDK to be canceled?
A: If there is a spike in COVID 19 cases, and the State Government puts a hold on all large events and activities for September, NDK and the Gaylord Rockies will abide by those restrictions.