Atrium Balcony Decorating Contest
Good news, everyone! We are pleased to announce that the University of Northern Colorado has joined us as a partner in this year’s Atrium Balcony Decorating Contest! This means there are some wonderful additional prizes to be won, brought to you by UNC’s Asian Studies and Technical Theatre Programs.
Every year, we look forward to seeing what our attendees with atrium balcony rooms come up with. Below are the rules and prizes for the 2014 Atrium Balcony Decorating Contest. Good luck!
- $200 Amazon Gift Card Sponsored by the University of Northern Colorado!
- Free hotel room (Friday and Saturday night, check out Sunday)
- 2 NDK 2015 passes
- up to 4 NDK NYE 2014 passes
- $100 Amazon Gift Card Sponsored by the University of Northern Colorado!
- 1 NDK 2015 pass
- up to 4 NDK NYE 2014 passes
- $50 Amazon Gift Card Sponsored by the University of Northern Colorado!
- up to 4 NDK NYE 2014 passes
For Voting (New!)
- Entry into a raffle for a chance to win a Prize basket and a $50 Amazon Gift Card Sponsored by the University of Northern Colorado!
Railing Width: 152"
Railing Height: 42" (top of railing to floor)
Railing Horizontal Spacing: 30" (between railings)
Railing Vertical Bar Spacing: 5.5"
Balcony Floor "Lip": 8 – 10"
Balcony Floor to Ceiling: 8'
Balcony Depth: 44"
Sprinkler Pipe: takes up 4.5" near front of balcony (may not be obstructed, used for display/hanging/etc)
(Thanks to StarFest!)
A) Balcony Displays:
- All displays must be appropriate for all ages and must adhere to all rules of the convention as set forth in the program guide. Please no yaoi, yuri, hentai, or other explicit material. If you have any questions about whether your display is appropriate, please ask. If your display is deemed inappropriate, you will be asked to take it down and you shall be disqualified from the contest.
- Please no displays that require you to climb out over or on top of the railing to attach or otherwise setup. Please keep your personal safety and the safety of other attendees (whether in your room or below in the atrium) in mind in all designs.
- The display should be secured to the railing or free standing. Masking tape is acceptable. Please remember you will be responsible for any damage to property (including hotel) and persons caused by your balcony display.
- DO NOT USE
• Duct tape, Electrical tape, Packing/Shipping tapes
• Nails, Screws, Push pins, Tacks
• Any other material that will damage the walls, floor, or ceiling when securing your display.
- You cannot paint, mark, or otherwise permanently alter the railing, ceiling, floor, or walls of the balcony area. No magic markers, glitter pens, or any kind of marker that would damage the decor. Remember that the balcony must be returned to its original state before you check out.
- IMPORTANT: You may not attach or otherwise hang displays from the sprinklers in the balcony areas. You will be asked to remove or will have your display removed from the sprinklers for you. Hotel staff has the final word on whether a display is preventing the proper operation of the sprinkler system.
- Do not anchor your display to the light fixtures on the balcony. These are not load bearing.
- Please make sure your displays/designs are going to be able to stay attached to your balconies with no fear of it coming off and landing in the atrium. You cannot have items hang out into the atrium (over the balcony) if they are not properly secured.
- If you are going to dangle or hang items over the railing and out over the atrium, please use materials like fishing line, twine, string, etc to secure items to the railings of the balcony. Please use something more secure than tape/ hooks when hanging items out over the balcony.
- Items may not extend/hang/dangle/protrude further than 12 inches in any direction out into the atrium. You will be asked to remove any items not adhering to these guidelines by either hotel staff or NDK staff.
- If a part of your display falls off and lands in the atrium, your entry will be disqualified. Again, please think of the safety of all convention goers when securing your display. If the hotel or NDK Staff ask you to remove part or all of your display for safety reasons, you must comply within 60 minutes or your entry shall be disqualified.
- The display cannot hang lower than the end of your balcony. It cannot obstruct the the balcony below.
- Your entry can only be connected to adjoining balconies if you know your adjoining neighbor, and you have their permission to do so. If you have a display that takes up two (or more) horizontally adjacent balconies you can enter them as one entry.
- Special effects, such as lighting, may be used to enhance your display, but they may not interfere with other attendees or the normal operation of the hotel. If you are unsure if your effect will be allowed, please ask. If you are asked to remove an effect by hotel or NDK staff, you must do immediately.
- DO NOT USE
• Fog machines, Dry ice, Misters, anything that creates a fog/mist screen
• Strobes, Spotlights, and Lasers (unless directed into your own balcony)
• Loud/distracting music or performances
- Performances that impede traffic or affect the flow of any events of the convention space, especially the atrium are not allowed. This includes but is not limited to any performance that causes people to stop and block traffic, but does not include people who are already stopped for things such as event lines.
- Music/Sound is allowed as long as it follows the general convention rules for noise in the open convention space and noise in hotel rooms. Please remember you have neighbors, and if it is too loud for them, or too loud for the atrium space, you will be asked to turn it down or turn it off by NDK staff or hotel staff.
- The Balcony contest is open to both attendees and staff as voting is anonymous and by crowd favorite. Staff atrium balconies wishing to participate may decorate and enter the contest. If they win, they will be compensated with NDK merch coupons of equivalent value to the NDK badges/passes. Staff are still able to win the free hotel room if they win first prize.
- Balcony Contest Registration is at University of Northern Colorado table at the convention and begins Friday at 12pm, and ends Saturday at 2pm, during University of Northern Colorado table hours. After-hours registration on Friday night will be handled by Operations. Remember, the earlier you sign up, the more time attendees have to see your entry and vote on it!
- Decorations may span multiple horizontally adjacent rooms, as long as you know your balcony neighbors and have their permission. You may link as many rooms as you wish across (not up and down). Any number of linked rooms count as one entry.
- One entry means one prize. If an entry with multiple rooms (horizontally adjacent) registered as one entry wins, you will get one set of prizes (i.e. one free hotel room (Fri and Sat nights), 2 NDK passes, and up to 4 NDK NYE passes), you will not get a set of prizes for each room combined into one entry.
- Entrants suspected of registering for an atrium balcony hotel room before the official release of the hotel registration link on the NDK site will be disqualified from the Atrium Balcony Contest with or without prior notice. NDK staff's decision is final.
- The ballot box will be located at the University of Northern Colorado table for the duration of Saturday and will be clearly marked as the Balcony Contest Ballot Box.
- Ballots will be collected at the UNC table from (Open– 6pm) Saturday, before the Costume and Cosplay Contest. Votes will be tallied and announced at the Costume and Cosplay contest before the halftime show. It is not mandatory that participants attend the Costume and Cosplay contest to win.
- Voting for your favorite atrium balcony decorations will enter you in a raffle for a gift basket and $50 Amazon gift card provided by the University of Northern Colorado’s Asian Studies and Technical Theatre departments. The raffle winner will be contacted by the information provided on the voting ballot. If contacted as the winner, you must claim your prize before the UNC table closes for the day on Saturday. UNC, for their tax purposes, must obtain a completed form from the winner before the prize can be claimed.
- Entrants cannot entice or otherwise solicit votes for or against any entry in the balcony contest, including their own. If you are discovered as soliciting votes for/against entries will be disqualified. Note: Soliciting does not include encouraging attendees to remember to vote or indicating where the voting box is located.
- Votes will only be counted when cast using the provided official NDK ballot paper. Any votes on any other paper or medium will be discarded. Ballots are obtained from the UNC table and Operations.
- Votes must contain the balcony number of the entry that the attendee wishes to vote for. Any illegible votes will be discarded.
- One vote/One raffle entry per attendee. “Ballot stuffing” is prohibited. Any attendee found stuffing the ballot box will be issued a warning and may be susceptible to NDK's two strike policy. Any entrant caught stuffing the ballot box will be disqualified from the contest outright.
- Winners will be announced at the Costume and Cosplay contest before the halftime show. It is not mandatory that participants attend the Costume and Cosplay contest to win. Winners names will be posted to the door at Operations shortly after the Cosplay Halftime Show on Saturday.
- Winners chosen Saturday must provide names for NDK badges and NDK NYE passes to Operations by Sunday, 2pm.
- To claim the Amazon gift cards or gift basket provided by UNC in any prize package, you must stop by the UNC table before it closes on Saturday. UNC, for their tax purposes, must obtain a completed form from the winner before the prize can be claimed.
- Any winners who do not check in with the UNC table on Saturday for the Gift Cards/basket or Ops by Sunday for the Passes will forfeit their prizes. Failure to check in does not forfeit first prize of two nights (Friday and Saturday) at this year's NDK.